Rank: Private
Number: 231061
Unit: 10th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry
Date of Death: 22 August 1918
Age: 22
Cemetery: Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

In the late autumn of 1892, Richard Percy Grenville married his fiancée, Gertrude Johnson at St John's Church in the Broughton area of Salford.  Nine years later, when the national census was taken, they were living at 42 Peel Moat Road, Heaton Chapel. They had two sons, seven year old Richard and Frank who was five. Frank's brith ahd been registered at Chorlton, Manchester. Mr Grenville was a manager for a firm of wholesale tailors. The family were comparatively well-to-do and could afford to employ a live-in general servant - 16 year old Sarah Hodgson.

Research suggests that Frank was a pre-War member of the Territorial army - serving as a driver with the Army Service Corps. He worked for the Oak Tree Hosiery Co (formerly Thomas Grimshaw & Sons Ltd), 25 Dale Street, Manchester (and is included in the Company's entry in the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour - page 581). When War was declared in August 1914, he volunteered for overseas service and will have gone to Gallipoli, almost certainly serving with the ammunition column for the 42nd (East Lancashire) Division. His service number at the time was T/1925. In early 1917, Territorial soldiers were reallocated six-digit service numbers and Frank's was 248030. At some later point, he was transferred to the Shropshires.

For most of August 1918, the battalion was resting away from the front line but, on the 21st, it moved back into the trenches at St Floris (approximately 15 kilometres north of the French town of Bethune). The next day, orders were received at very short notice to move forward in conformity with a general advance of the British line, north of the Lys Canal. The advance by some other battalions became stalled and without any orders to the contrary, the Shropshires continued to move forward into what would prove to be a trap. The Regimental History records "Advancing through high standing corn the Battalion continued until within a few hundred yards of the concealed enemy, who met them with a devastating fire from carefully prepared positions. He then followed up his advantage with a determined counter-attack and severe hand-to-hand fighting took place. The Battalion was eventually forced back to its starting point. The enemy made no attempt to press home the counter-attack."  Frank was one of 58 to be killed in the fighting. Another local man, Albert Titterton, also died.

In the early 1920s, when the War Graves Commission collated its casualty information, Mr & Mrs Grenville were living at 114 Buckingham Road, Heaton Moor.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window