Jesse HALL
Rank: Private
Number: 23044
Unit: 8th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment
Date of Death: 26 April 1917
Age: 30
Cemetery: Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

Jesse was born in Congleton but, by 1901, the family was living in the Stockport area. At the time of the Great War, his mother was living at 7 Churchill Street, Heaton Norris. He worked as a compositor at the printing works of Thompson & Sons, St Petersgate, until he enlisted into the army in March 1916.

Towards the end of April 1917, the 8th Battalion was in trenches near to the village of Monchy, about 6 kilometres east of the French town of Arras. Prior to being relieved on the 1 May, the men had suffered several days of heavy shelling and sniper fire, reducing their strength to only about 350. The next few days were supposedly a period of rest but, as was common, they spent their time digging trenches.

Jesse and his mates returned to the front line on 10 May. The Regimental History describes the local attack which would cost Jesse his life. It was nothing short of a complete shambles.

"It was in the afternoon of the 12th that the Battalion was ordered to attack a trench which was to be incorporated in the British front system and, after three minutes drum fire the men went over the top at 6pm. Their failure to reach their objective was due to a cause as unfortunate as it was unexpected. They were subject to heavy enfilade machine-gun fire from both flanks and they were also caught in their own machine-gun barrage which, though accurately laid on the enemy trenches, swept in its trajectory the crest of a rise over which the Battalion had to pass. Assailed on all sides, the attack launched in two waves on a three-company front had not enough momentum to carry it through. Five officers were wounded as soon as the Battalion rose from its trenches and thirty-eight other ranks were killed or missing. When the survivors struggled back under cover of darkness, the Battalion numbered only a hundred and sixty-seven."

Under the circumstances, it will have been impossible to recover the bodies of men who had been killed in No Man's Land. Jesse's body was never recovered and identified and his name is now commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing at Arras. Another local man, John Henshaw, was also killed.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window