Stanley was the son of local butcher, William Hanson and his second wife Rhoda (nee Plant). William's first marriage was to Sarah Bennett and they had two daughters together, Annie and Clara. Sarah died in 1888 and William remarried three years later. Stanley is the new couple's only child listed on the 1901 Census. The family was then living at the shop premises at 37 Lloyd Street in the Lancashire Hill district of Stockport and were still then when War was declared in 1914.
The 24th Battalion of the Welsh Regiment was formed in Egypt in February 1917. Its original members were drawn from the Territorial cavalry units of the Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry. They were retrained as infantry and it was probably around this time that Stanley joined them from training as part of a draft of reinforcements to bring them up to fighting strength.
He was killed in a small scale attack on Turkish positions near Jerusalem. The Battalion had been on the move northwards since 23 November. The entry for the 29th in Battalion's War Diary, at the National Archives, records that "Arrived Beit Annan 4.30 am on 29 November, 26 miles of rocky road - men exhausted. Enormous difficulty in taking over outpost line in jumble of steep rocky hills, falling precipitously into deep wadis and raising in places to over 2,000 feet. Only means of progress was by native tracks running up and down sides of mountains and along which only one man could move at a time."
They now received orders to attack the Turkish front line at Et Tire (recorded in the Diary as Ettireh). They had a further difficult climb to get into position but were ready for "zero hour" at 4am on 1 December. Their objectives were Hill 1910 and Hill 1610. As they attacked, they came under heavy machine gun fire but captured the Hills with relative ease.. However, they now also came under enfilade fire from Turks, dressed in British uniforms, on Hill 1750 and there was no option but to withdraw back to the original position.
When the War Graves Commission collated its casualty information in the early 1920s, Mr & Mrs Hanson had moved to 3 Ashburn Grove, Heaton Norris.