Arthur HAYES
Rank: Sergeant
Number: 88
Unit: C Company, 1/6th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 8 July 1915
Age: 32
Cemetery: Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt

Arthur was the son of William and Annie Hayes. He had been born in Manchester in about 1883 and, at the time of the 1901 Census, was living at 188 Clifton Street, Stretford. His father had died by then and Arthur lived at the family with his mother and four sisters (Ada, Minnie, Katie and Mabel).

18 year old Arthur was working as a warehouseman for a shipping merchant. This was probably Jones Brothers, York Street, Manchester who he is known to have been working for when War broke out. The company were cotton shippers. He is commemorated on its entry on the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour. At some point he married a woman called Edith and the family history website, FreeBMD, records the marriage of an Arthur Hayes to Edith Seanor, in the south Manchester area in 1904. This is probably them.

Arthur moved to Marple in 1905, taking up residence at 10 Church Lane. He was keen cricketer and, in the winter, played lacrosse representing the Marple Clubs at both sports. He was a long-standing member of the Volunteers and continued in the Territorial Force when it was created in 1908. He will, no doubt, have drilled at the 6th Battalion's headquarters on Burlington Street in Manchester after finishing work. The Territorials were known, somewhat with derision, as the "Saturday Afternoon Soldiers". When War was declared in August 1914, the Territorials were immediately mobilised and an account of the early months of service in Egypt can be found here.

In early May 1915, the Battalion left Egypt to go into action at Gallipoli. Arthur was badly wounded in the attack on 4 June. He was reported to have been shot during the charge across No Man's Land, by an explosive bullet which blew away part of his head. He was with his great friend Company Sergeant Major John Hurdley. Both were tall men and both were shot in the head. Hurdley is believed to have been carried from the battlefield by Sergeant Tom Worthington from Cheadle (see entry) and survived to live to a ripe old age.

Arthur was found some little time later, still alive, and was evacuated to 1st Australian General Hospital at Heliopolis in Egypt where he appeared to making a recovery. His wife received letters saying he was progressing well and hoped to be able to return to Britain in a few weeks. Arthur's condition must have deteriorated and he died just over a month after being wounded.

After the War, Edith Hayes moved to live at Rose Bank, Crosby, Isle of Man. Further information about Arthur, including a photograph can be found in the book "Remembered" by P Clarke, A Cook and J Bintliff.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window