Rank: Lance Corporal
Number: 2142
Unit: 1/6th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 6 June 1915
Age: 25
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Sidney was the eldest of three brothers who served with the Manchester Regiment. Arthur was later promoted to Lieutenant in the 6th Battalion, whilst Frank reached the same rank with the Lancashire Fusiliers. Both are believed to have survived.

He was always affectionally known to family and friends as "Cider" and had been educated first at St Thomas' Day School and then at Stockport Commercial School. Although no details are known, it is most probable that he worked in Manchester's city centre for one of the major employers, no doubt in a clerical capacity or similar. The family home was at "Ebor", Kennerley Road, Stockport.

In his spare time, he was a talented lacrosse player and was a regular member of Stockport's first team. He had played for England against Canada and had been included in the North of England team on several occasions. In the past, he had also played for Cheshire and was the Honorary Secretary and Treasurer of the County's Lacrosse Association. He was one of many local lacrosse players who joined the 6th Manchesters in the days following the declaration of War in August 1914. Within weeks, he was on his way to Egypt where he spent the next seven months. A brief account of this time can be found here.

In early May, the Battalion left Egypt to go into action at Gallipoli. Within a month, Cider had been killed in this attack. Arthur was wounded during the same battle and was evacuated first to Malta and then to Devonport Military Hospital. Frank was also shot in the arm and wrote home from a hospital ship. "On Friday, after a bombardment, we charged the Turks' trenches and I think everybody is wounded. Cider and I got to their first trenches together and it was fine to see the way the Turks bolted. We dropped on our knees and then began to get a bit of our own back. My right arm went useless and I found I had a bullet through it. Just in and out and nothing to trouble about. Cider went on and I met a chap on this boat who said Cider had bandaged him up in the Turks' third trench".

Nothing further is known about what happened to Cider but his body was never found and identified.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window