Lee Warrington JACKSON
Rank: Corporal
Number: 265652
Unit: 1/6th Battalion CHESHIRE REGIMENT
Date of Death: 31 August 1918
Age: 21
Cemetery: Locre No.10 Cemetery, Loker, Belgium

Lee was the son of Alice and John Jackson, 2 Aberdeen Crescent, Edgeley, Stockport. He had been born within the parish of St Matthew's C of E Church, Grenville Street.

His originals ervice number, 2416, suggests he was probably a pre-war member of the Territorials and would have been mobilised in August 1914 when was was declared. A summary of the Battalion's early months of war service is here.

In mid August 1918, Lee had just returned to his Battalion from a months leave. On the 19th, the Cheshires moved into position near the village of Locre (now Loker), 12 kilometres to the south west of Ypres (now Ieper). The following extract is taken from the Battalion History:-

On the evening of August 19th "A" and "D" Companies moved to a support position near Canada Corner, and on the follow­ing day moved to assembly position for an attack in the Locre district, which took place at 2-9 a.m. on August 20th, after four minutes' intense artillery and machine-gun fire, followed by a creeping barrage. The war diary states

"As soon as our men left their assembly positions, which were taped out, the enemy fired the S.O.S.-a rocket bursting into two red lights, but, apparently, owing to a thick ground mist, this signal was not at first seen by the enemy, and he did not put down his reply barrage until our Companies had reached the advanced enemy posts. All objectives were reported gained at 2-30 p.m."

The enemy's resistance was very weak and our troops gained their objectives without much trouble. At the time of the attack the enemy was issuing rations. At 6 a.m. enemy patrols were seen advancing under cover of the mist and machine gun fire. The S.O.S. was sent up by us and the enemy held by our machine gun fire, being afterwards dispersed by the barrage. At dusk the enemy made another weak attempt to counter-attack, which was also dispersed, our intense machine gun barrage and Lewis gun fire creating havoc with the enemy.

Captures: 27 prisoners unwounded, one wounded prisoner, three machine guns.


August~ 22nd, 1918.

The positions gained the previous day were maintained although subjected to considerable artillery and machine gun fire and gas.


August 23rd, 1918.

"A" and "D" Companies relieved by 2/23rd Londons and moved with remainder of IBattalion to supports at Westoutre.


August 27th, 1918.

Relieved 2/23rd Londons in the line S.E. of Locre.

 August 30th, 1918.

About 4-30 p.m. information was received that the enemy was withdrawing. Large fires were seen behind his line, and numerous explosions took place. About 35 fires were burning at one time. There was practically no enemy artillery fire; only an occasional shell from a long distance. Patrols were immediately ordered to push out and get in touch with the enemy. By midnight the whole Battalion had advanced out of our original line and there was practically no opposition from the enemy. A few machine gun teams were left behind, but these all withdrew before our troops came to close quarters.


August 31st, 1918.

The advance continued slowly through the night, although it was very dark and pouring with rain, making the country extremely difficult to recognise. By 6 a.m. the Battalion had passed through Dranoutre. We took up a line running 1,400 yards N.E. of Neuve Eglise and it was here that we met strong enemy resistance in the shape of heavy machine gun and artillery fire. The enemy was holding the system of trenches on the top of the ridge.

One Company advanced as far as the railway  but was ultimately forced to fall back owing to the intense fire. At dusk we were relieved and returned to Canada Corner area.

Many gallant actions by officers and men of the Battalion are recorded during this period, and a number of awards were made. All ranks were embued with a fine spirit, and especial credit is due to the runners and ration parties for their devotion to duty.

Locre No. 10 Cemetery was not created as a British one until after the Armistice. Lee will have been buried near to where he fell and his body moved when the war had finished.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window