Henry Herbert JALLAND
Rank: Lieutenant
Unit: 1st Battalion BLACK WATCH
Date of Death: 18 October 1918
Age: 32
Cemetery: Wassigny Communal Cemetery, Aisne, France

Herbert was born in the Gorton area of Manchester on 11 May 1896 and was living there, aged 14, at 5 Brook Road, at the time of the 1901 Census. His parents, William Henry and Mary Susannah, originated from Nottinghamshire. William was employed as a Sub Inspector of Schools. Herbert had two brothers, Arthur (11) and William (16) and two younger sisters (May (13) and Elsie (9).

Herbert was educated at Manchester Grammar School and later took a course in commerce at Birmingham University. He then won a classical scholarship to Pembroke College, Oxford. Herbert served as a private in the Officer Training Corps at both universities. After graduating, he entered the King's service as a clerk in the Private Secretary's Office at Buckingham Palace. In 1911 he was in Delhi for the Coronation Durbah.

Herbert enlisted into the army, as a private, in 1915 and quickly submitted an application to become an officer on 19 November. In his application, he noted that he was able to ride a horse and he expressed a preference to serve with the heavy artillery (of the Royal Garrison Artillery). He wrote "If this is impossible, then the Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders or Cameron Highlanders. But I hope to get the artillery." Herbert was not tog et his first preference.

He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant with effect from 4 December 1915 and attached to the 3rd Battalion, Black Watch. This was the reserve Battalion and was in Britain until 1917 when it moved to Ireland. Herbert transferred to the 10th Battalion, from Malta, on 12 August 1916, to serve in the Salonika theatre of war in northern Greece and Macedonia. He was posted to "D" Company.

He was further promoted to Lieutenant with effect from 10 May 1917. The Regimental History records that, on 17 July, "Lieutentant Jalland and three men from D Company were fired on while patrolling south of Piton des Quatre Arbes, close to the bank of the Vadar."

Hostilities against the Bulgarian Army ceased on 25 September 1918 and Herbert was quickly transferred to the 1st Battalion, then advancing quickly across France, in the closing weeks of the War. He arrived on 15 October. Three days later he was dead.

Over the two days, 18th and 19th October, the Battalion found that the Germans had withdrawn and they were able to advance some 5000 yards. This was led by "C" Company and it probably had Herbert as one of its officers. Although now fast retreating, the German Army was still able to cover its withdrawals with artillery and heavy machine gun fire. The Battalion War Diary records that fog made liaison between the attacking platoons very difficult, but the objectives were secured. 3 officers, including Herbert, and several other soldiers, had been killed over the two days.

Herbert is one of 29 British soldiers buried in the village churchyard at Wassigny. The news of his death would have quickly reached his family, then living at Fern Cottage, Lane Ends, Romiley. His parents later renamed their home "Wassigny". Herbert's will left all his possessions to his mother.

(Note: With thanks to the Black Watch Regimental Museum for assistance in compiling this biography)

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window