Rank: Private
Number: 11446
Unit: 6th Battalion King’s Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment
Date of Death: 15 July 1915
Age: 19
Cemetery: Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery, Krithia, Turkey

Andrew was the younger son of Mr & Mrs Jamieson, 24 Eryngo Street, Stockport. His mother was Mary Jamieson but his father's name is not recorded in the records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (possibly he had died by the early 1920s when the Commission collated its records).

The family originated from Glasgow and Andrew had been born there. It is not known when they moved to Stockport. When Andrew left school, he went to work at the Clarendon Club which was next to Manchester Town Hall (the building was demolished in 1971 and is now the "peace garden"). Andrew enlisted into the army, at Manchester, in August or September 1914, within days or weeks of War being declared. At around the same time, his older brother, John, enlisted into the Cheshire Regiment. Their father, also served with the Black Watch.

After training, Andrew and his new mates left Britain, on 13 June 1915, heading for the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey. After stops at Alexandria and Mudros, they disembarked at V Beach, Cape Helles in the early hours of 7 July. After getting a few hours sleep, the Battalion took over a section of reserve trenches at 3pm. Within minutes, they suffered their casualty - one soldier was shot and was taken to a field hospital (this may have been William Horsfield, from Blackpool, who is recorded as having died of wounds on 11 July)

On 9 July, the men spent the day, in the front line, with more experienced units, learning the craft of trench warfare. On the 11th, they suffered their first fatality and, on the 14th, they took over a section of the front line for the first time. The next day, the Battalion's War Diary records only "Quiet day in the trenches". There is no mention that Andrew had been killed (most probably by a Turkish sniper). His war had lasted just 8 days and he was the second man to be killed.

Lieutenant Edward S Vincent later wrote to the family "By the time this letter reaches you, you will have heard the sad news that your lad has fallen in the service of his country. I have had the honour to command the machine gun section to which your son belonged and I am writing on behalf of his comrades of the section to express our deep sympathy with you in your bereavement. He was the "baby" of the section and it was a sad grief to us all that he should have been amongst the first to fall. I should have written earlier, but had been hoping to see your other son who is not far from us, before doing so. In this I have, so far, been unsuccessful, but I will make another attempt when we get out of the trenches. I was standing close to your boy when he was hit and you may rest assured that he suffered absolutely no pain. Unfortunately, I was unable to be present when they buried him but we were afterwards able to visit the poor lad's grave. He rests at the foot of the hill in company with several others gallant lads and a minister read the burial service over him. I gave instructions that a wooden cross bearing his name and Regiment should be erected to mark the owner of the grave and, God willing, I hope to be able to conduct his brother to the spot before many days are out."

It's not known if Edward Vincent ever managed to contact John Jamieson, then with the 8th Battalion, Cheshire Regiment. John, who is believed to have survived the war, had a lucky escape in the September, whilst still at Gallipoli. He wrote home from hospital "I was blown about twenty feet in the air by a shell. The gun was blown to pieces and I fell back on the edge of the trench and, as I lay there, another shell came and blew me back in the trench. I could not walk until late in the afternoon and when I was hobbling along got shot through the hands and that did me up altogether. I am suffering from a wound through the joint of the left hand and an injured spine. The nurse here is a gem, she is like a mother to us all."

Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery was not created until after the war, when the bodies of many men originally buried in isolated graves or small front line burial areas were exhumed and brought there. By then, many of the original grave markers had been destroyed or become lost and it was not possible to individually identify each body. There are 2226 unidentified graves in the Cemetery of which it is believed Andrew is one. His name is commemorated, with others from his original burial site, on a special memorial within the Cemetery.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window