Rank: Corporal
Number: 52162
Unit: 1st Battalion King’s (Liverpool) Regiment
Date of Death: Between 23 and 25 August 1918
Age: 23
Cemetery: Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux, Pas de Calais, France

Unusually, official records are imprecise about the date of Fred's death, describing it only as between the dates above.

Samuel Lamb, a carter for a cowherder, married Elizabeth Redfern at St Thomas' Church, Stockport in the late summer of 1889. By 1901, when a census was taken, they were living at 54 Moss Lane, Bramhall and had three children - Ada (then 10), Fred (6) and Elizabeth (2).

Fred enlisted into the army at Manchester, probably in the early part of 1915. He joined a Territorial Battalion of the Manchester Regiment (service number 2982). He never served abroad with the Manchesters and was probably transferred to the King's when he finished training.

On 8 August, British troops embarked on the Battle of Amiens. The period from then until the end of the War has become known as the "Hundred Days". Although there would be hard fighting until the last, it would be time of constant advance for the British troops.

As part of this advancement, an attack was to be made on enemy positions on 23 August at Ervillers (approximately 8 kilometres north of the town of Bapaume). At 11am, the 1st King's led the troops of its Brigade on a 600 yard frontage. By midday, the village had been captured and a start had been made on consolidating the gains. Owing to heavy machine gun fire from the nearby ridge at Mory Copse and Hally Copse, it was unsafe to establish outposts on the east of the village. The King's men were shelled by German artillery all afternoon and into the evening until darkness fell. During the night, attempts were made to capture the Copses with success.

At 4.30am on the 24th, fourteen small patrols, each of 6 - 8 men, were sent out towards the ridge. They were unable to infiltrate the German lines and only suffered more casualties. At 9am, "C" Company moved forward in support of a battalion of Guards but the advance was checked by machine gun fire and the Company was withdrawn at 11.30.

The Regimental History then notes that, at 2.30pm, there was a further attack on Mory Copse in conjunction with battalions from 99th Brigade. "B" and "D" Companies took part in this assault and they "swept up the hillside and with cheers of "King's" the men, though obviously worn out, tore across the railway line and aided by 1st Berkshires carried Mory Copse".

The Battalion was withdrawn from the front line during the night. Fred was originally posted as missing and the family must have kept their hopes up. However, his body was discovered in October.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window