Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
Unit: 1/7th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 4 June 1915
Age: 28
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Frank and his older sister, Maggie, were born in New Mills. Around 1890, the family moved to Stockport where two further daughters, Mabel and Jessie, were born. James Lomas owned a cotton waste spinning business which traded at Lower Wellington Mills, 155 Heaton Lane, Heaton Norris. He also became a local councillor. The family home was at "Rydal Mount", Hall Street, Stockport. In due course, Frank finished his education and joined the family firm as a manager. In his spare time he was a member of the Whaley Bridge Golf Club.

When War was declared in August 1914, Frank was one of the first to join up, enlisting into the Manchesters as a private (service number 2282). By the middle of the following month, he was aboard a ship bound for Egypt and the Sudan where he spent the next seven months undergoing his army training "on the job". A brief account of this time is here. Frank's enlistment papers hsow him to have been 5' 6" tall and he weighed 125 lbs. He had a fair complexion, blue eyes and light brown hair. Frank had recorded his religious denomination as Congregationalist.

One of his great friends from Stockport was Jack Morten. Jack's letters home were published a few years ago in a volume "I remain, your son Jack" and Frank is often mentioned. In one, dated 26 January 1915, he records that he, Frank and four others had applied for commissions. These would be approved with effect from 11 March but it was not until the middle of August that they were officially approved and Morten's letters suggest that Frank probably never knew he had become an officer. As will have been seen, most of the time had been spent in Khartoum but, in late April, the troops moved back to Cairo by boat up the Nile. Frank and Jack were designated as officers' orderlies for the voyage so escaped the deck swabbing and other chores.

On 3 May, they left the relative safety of Egypt to go into action at Gallipoli, landing there on the 7th. Less than a month later, Frank was dead. He was killed in this attack. He was originally posted as being missing but later reports indicated he was known to have been shot in the head whilst in the Turkish trenches. In September, the War Office made an official determination that he must have been killed. His body was never recovered and identified.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window