Charles (Carlos) Bothwell BATES
Rank: Lance Corporal
Number: 2093
Unit: 1/6th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 7 August 1915
Age: 22 (based on 1901 Census)
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Regimental records published after the War indicate that Charles had been born in Marple. However, an examination of  the 1901 Census suggests the family originated form Norwich. In 1889, a man called Charles Bothwell Bates married Laura Wilson. Four years later, a boy was born who was named after his father. By the time the Census was taken, this family had moved to 54 Yarburgh Street in Whalley Range, Manchester. Charles, senior, was a civil servant with the Inland Revenue. Their son was the second of three children. Ninna was the eldest, then aged 10. The youngest daughter, Constance, was only 1. She had also been born in Norwich, confirming that the family had only recently moved to the north west. Mr Bates' income as a civil servant was clearly of some reasonable significance as it enabled the family to employ a live-in servant - 17 year old Elizabeth Dixon.

The family had moved to Marple by 1910 and lived at 20 Church Lane. Charles' story has been previously researched for the book "Remembered", by P Clarke, A Cook and J Bintliff. The authors record that Charles had been known as Carlos from a young age and speculate that this was due to his dark Latin looks. There is a picture of him in the book and the authors may well be right. They also record that Carlos was married to Laura. I have not been able to confirm that he was married and it may be that they have mistaken his mother for his wife.

Nothing else is known of Carlos' pre-War life. He joined the 6th (Territorial) Battalion in the days immediately following the declaration of War in August 1914 with his great friend Arthur Stott. Most of these local young middle class recruits either played sport together or worked in "white collar" positions with Manchester's major city centre employers. Within a month Carlos was aboard a ship bound for Egypt where he spent the next seven months. Some details of this period can be found here.

At the beginning of May, Carlos and his comrades left Egypt to go into action at Gallipoli. On 4 June, he took part in an attack on Turkish positions.  Back in action, two months later, he took part in his second and last charge. Click here for details of the day.

After the battle, Carlos was posted as being missing. Nothing was ever heard of him again, although there were reports that he survived the actual attack and was binding the wounds of an injured comrade when he was shot through the head. He died about ten minutes later without regaining consciousness.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window