Frederick Major PAULL
Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
Date of Death: 27 November 1915
Age: 22
Cemetery: Azmak Cemetery, Suvla, Turkey

Frederick was the son of the Rev. John Weston Paull, the pastor of the local Congregational Church, and Lilian Paull.  He was born on 31 December 1892 at Charlotte Street, Cheadle, the youngest of the four children recorded on the 1901 Census. He had been educated at Manchester Grammar School and had been a member of the Boy Scouts.

Before the war, he was ranching in Canada, but returned to England to enlist in September 1914.  In December, he appears to have been in London as he was a volunteer with the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps. In April 1915, he applied to become an officer. He will have been commissioned and assigned to the 14th (Reserve) Battalion

The 9th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters, had landed at Gallipoli on 6 August 1915. In the next 15 days, of the 23 officers who landed, 13 had been killed and 9 wounded. Frederick will have been sent as replacement in late August or early September (as such his official record as still serving with the 14th Battalion is incorrect). Between then and the end of November, there were no major attacks and the Gallipoli Campaign had stagnated into the attrition of trench warfare. Casualties continued to be suffered - from occasional shelling by then enemy or, more often, by the extremely accurate Turkish snipers.

At the beginning of November, the Battalion was withdrawn from the front line for a seven day period of rest. It then returned to the trenches in the Lone Tree Gully sector. Official reports (From Lt Colonel Scothern) only note one particular incident for November. "......the great gale of the 27th.... A thunderstorm accompanied by torrents of rain which lasted for 24 hours. The trenches were flooded and the men were carried off their feet by the force of the water.....the ordinary trench routine was carried on"

Frederick was one of three members of the Battalion killed that day. We cannot be certain how Frederick died but it seems very possible that he was shot by a sniper. In the chaos of the flooded trenches, an inexperienced officer accidentally exposes himself to one of the Turkish soldiers on higher ground..............

It would be 7 March 1916, before the family received confirmation that Frederick had been buried at a small cemetery known as Lone Pine Gully. It will have been of some small consolation to Rev & Mrs Paull to know that a minister, Rev W Warburton, had conducted the service. After the War, several small cemeteries were closed and Frederick will have been reinterred at Azmak Cemetery. His personal effects, comprising a wallet, fountain pen and Ever Ready pocket lamp were also sent back to Britain.

After the war, Reverend & Mrs Paull moved to "Midwood", Oak Avenue, Christchurch.

Originally researched by John Hartley for the Cheadle & Gatley War Memorials website. Since then, another amateur researcher has been undertaking a similar project for the Somerset parishes of Winscombe and Sandford and has discovered Frederick's name amongst those on the Memorial at a local chapel of the United Reform Church. His connection with the area is unknown

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window