Rank: Private
Number: 50798
Unit: 2/6th Battalion King’s (Liverpool) Regiment
Date of Death: 1 September 1918
Age: 20
Cemetery: Queant Road Cemetery, Buissy, Pas de Calais, France

Charles is commemorated on the Heaton Mersey and Stockport war memorials, but both appear to have spelt his name incorrectly as Pimblott. All military records; those of the War Graves Commission and the 1901 census all spell it as Pimlott. To add to the confusion, the Heaton Mersey Memorial also records his middle name, wrongly, as Edward.

Charles, senior, had married Mary in the June quarter of 1892 and, by 1901, the family was living at Burnage Lane, Burnage, Manchester. At some point, Violet was born and, in 1918, she was living in Seedley.

Charles attended St John's Church Day School in Heaton Mersey and also furthered his education at the church's Sunday school. He went to work locally for cotton bleachers, Melland & Coward Ltd, on Vale Road until he was conscripted into the army in July 1917.

The official history of the Battalion records that the men spent the night of 31 August just west of the village of Fontaine. At 3.15 , they moved forward to assembly positions in Crux Trench, ready for an attack.

As they were forming up, they were spotted by an enemy aeroplane which fired on them. It also signalled to the German artillery which opened up on the King's positions with high explosive and gas shells. At 6.02pm, three minutes before "zero hour", the British artillery opened up. As the men left the trench, "C" Company came under machine gun fire but was able to move forward to capture its first objective. There was little opposition until the village of Riencourt was reached. Their main objectives were Emu Alley and Wolf Trenches on the far side of the village. Several machine gun posts were dealt with but, by now, enemy artillery was being concentrated on Riencourt. The History reports that some of the enemy had emerged from dug-outs and were now firing from the rear. "D" Company, following in support of "C", mopped up these dug-outs, taking 21 prisoners. The final objectives were taken by 7.15pm.

By 9pm, the men had consolidated their gains. Patrols were pushed out to make contact with neighbouring units. One ran into the enemy who opened fire on them with a machine gun, but several Germans were killed and others taken prisoner. Charles was one of 20 men who were killed during the day.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window