Rank: Private
Number: 44110
Date of Death: 3 December 1917
Age: 44
Cemetery: Cambrai Memorial, Louveral, Pas de Calais, France

Joseph was a single man who lived with his brother, Arthur, at 37 Water Street, Portwood. He was a skilled gold printer working for local leather manufacturers, Dean & Co, at their premises on Prince's Street in Stockport. Enlisting on 3 April 1916, he was originally assigned to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. This was for training purposes only and, before going overseas on active service in the autumn, he was transferred to the Borderers.  

The positions held by the Borderers had been attacked by the Germans on 30 November and the Tommies had been forced to retreat to set up a new front line. There were further German attacks on the 1st. The second was a relatively quiet day although the men came under fire from enemy trench mortars.

On the morning of the 3rd, the Germans again took up the attack. They shelled the British line from about 9am until 11am, when the infantry attacked in large numbers, overwhelming the troops in the front line trench. At this point, the German barrage lifted and retargetted  to fall on the support line. The troops here were able to maintain a steady fire on the Germans preventing them form advancing even further. In the early afternoon, the shelling of the Borderers positions resumed and there was heavy machine gun fire sweeping the trench line. There were many casualties at this point. Later in the day, the Battalion was relieved from the position and went into billets. Joseph and another local man, Alfred Yarwood, were amongst the dead and missing. Both were posted as missing and it was to until September 1918 that the War Office made the official announcement that Joseph must have been killed. Nothing was ever heard of either man again.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window