Harold was born on Christmas Day 1890, the son of Albert and Mary Bellamy of 93 Fox Street, Stockport and is thought to have been their only child. He had attended Edgeley Wesleyan Day School where he won a scholarship to the Municipal Secondary school. He also took classes at Manchester Technical School. He worked for the Lancashire Dynamo Motor Company in Trafford Park.
In his spare time, he was keen all-round sportsman but his passion was football which he played for the Mile End Club (and would later represent his Battalion). He also had a fine singing voice and was a member of the Manchester Operatic Society.
When War was declared in August 1914, Harold was keen to enlist and tried to enlist into one of the newly formed Pals battalions of the Manchester Regiment. It’s understood that he was rejected because of his short stature but, within a few days, had managed to join up as a member of the reserve unit of the 8th (Territorial) Battalion (service number - 3194). By January, he’d been promoted to Corporal and, on the 28th, whilst still in training at Southport, he applied to become an officer. Within a short period of time, he had received his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant and was posted to the 19th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment.
The Battalion was a Pioneer unit, comprised of men trained to fight but whose main task was in the construction of defences. They went overseas in May 1916. Reporting his death, the Stockport Advertiser, in its edition of 2 August 1918, wrote “At the first his ability and courage were frequently and severely tested and he bore himself with distinction and had several narrow escapes from injury and death. In July 1916, he was in charge of a party which recovered some ancient bells from a famous old church which had been demolished by bombardment. The priest was so delighted that he presented Lt. Bellamy with a beautiful rapier from the church.”
In the October, he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps as an observer. In May, 1917, he returned to the UK as an observer instructor. He later qualified as a pilot and continued as a flying instructor. In July 1918, he was at 46 Training Depot at South Carlton in Lincolnshire. He was flying with a pupil when the plane developed engine trouble. It crashed and, although Harold was still alive, he was fatally injured and never regained consciousness.
His body was brought back to Stockport where it was buried on 31 August with full military honours. Shots were fired over the grave and the Last Post was sounded.