Arthur SCOTT
Rank: Private
Number: 17764
Date of Death: 21 August 1915
Age: 25
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Arthur and Willie Scott would die within two months of each other. They were the two oldest children of Arthur and Sarah and, probably their only sons. Arthur had been born in Warrington in about 1890 but, three years later, when Willie was born, they had moved to the Stockport area. In 1901, when the census was taken, the family was living at 20 Providence Street. There had been three new additions in the intervening years - Lily, Doris and Edna.

Arthur will have joined the army in the late autumn of 1914 and was assigned to the York and Lancasters. The Battalion left Liverpool on 1 July 1915 to go to Turkey to support the beleaguered garrison at Gallipoli. They landed there on 7 August. Arthur's war would last just two weeks.

They had gone straight from the landings into action supporting an attack by other units. The following days were characterised by attack and counter-attack and, by the 11th, 86 men had been killed and many more wounded.

After a short period in reserve, the Battalion was back in the trenches on the 20th, ready for an attack the following day, on Turkish positions at "Hill W". The Battalion's War Diary notes that at 6.30, the rations party suffered several casualties from sniper fire. At 14.30, the British artillery opened a bombardment of the Turkish lines and this was followed, 15 minutes later, by a barrage from machine guns massed on Hill 50. At 15.05, the leading wave of attackers went "over the top" with fixed bayonets. The remainder of the battalion followed at about 200 yards distance. There was heavy shrapnel fire from very close range which caused many casualties.

The advance continued and the enemy front line trench was captured without much further difficulty. The Turkish troops now pulled back and this enabled their machine gunners in their reserve areas to open fire. As the men advanced towards the second objective, the attack started to become confused and they lost direction,. This was partly due to the high loss of officers but also the vegetation had caught fire and smoke was obscuring the view. The machine gun fire became even more intense and the advance stalled. The men dug-in and secured their position until they were relieved on the 22nd. Arthur was one of over 40 men to have been killed in the attack.   

Two years after Arthur's death, the local newspaper published an "In Memoriam" notice from Edith of 37A Lancaster Road, Portwood. Her surname is not known but she may have been his fiancée.

In the early 1920s, when the War Graves Commission collated its casualty information, Mr & Mrs Scott had moved to 62 Brinnington Road.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window