Rank: Private
Number: 12561
Unit: 8th Battalion CHESHIRE Regiment
Date of Death: 8 August 1915
Age: 25
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

The 1901 Census suggests that Fred came from a large family. His father, Frederick, was then aged 45 and worked as "pack carrier". Fred had a younger brother, Herbert, aged two, and several sisters - Edith, 5; Florence, 19; Lily, 14; Lucy, 4; Minnie, 16 and Nelly, 8.

The Census lists a Selina Sinker, aged 45 who was working as a laundress. It is not known what relationship she is to the other Sinkers. Frederick is recorded as marrying a Sarah Ellen Cuthbert at St Thomas' Church, Heaton Norris in the spring of 1878. She is not listed on the Census as living in Stockport, so may have died. Selina may be Frederick's second wife or may, of course, be another relative.

Fred's age, when he died, is recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission as 29, but the Census records him as being then aged 11, making him about 25.

Fred's service number indicates he enlisted into the army in August or September 1914. The newly formed Battalion trained near Swindon for several months. In March of 1915, Fred must have had a short spell of leave as he was back in Stockport to marry his fiancée, Annie. Their home was to be at 356 Buxton Road, Stockport.

Back in camp, Fred and his comrades finalised arrangements to go overseas on active service to Gallipoli. They left Avonmouth on 26th June on the SS Ivernia (the ship had been launched in 1900 and would be torpedoed in 1917). After three stops, at Malta, Alexandria and Mudros, they landed at Cape Helles on 16 July. Fred's first spell in the front line was between 19th and 20th July.

In the early hours of 7 August, they were, once again, near the front line at positions known as Russell's Top, They supported an unsuccessful attack by the Australian Light Horse Brigade. Two Companies were also sent to support an attack by the 8th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who had attacked, again unsuccessfully, from Monash Gully. During the night of 7/8th, the whole Battalion was moved back to support positions. Sometime during this period, Fred was killed. His body was never recovered and identified. This suggests that, perhaps, he was killed while the troops were "on the move" either into support of the Fusiliers or whilst they were being relieved.

After the War, Annie remarried and became Annie Turner. In the early 1920s, when the War Graves Commission was collating its casualty information, she was living at 25 Crossfield Grove, Woodsmoor Lane, Stockport.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window