Richmond Morgan SMITH
Rank: Lance Corporal
Number: 3018
Unit: 1/7th Battalion MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Date of Death: 16 September 1915
Age: 24
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Richmond was born in the south Manchester area in the March quarter of 1891. He was the elder son of Arthur Smith, a piano dealer. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to Hull where, in about 1892, his brother Andrew was born. Andrew was always known as Taff although the family do not seem to have had any particular Welsh connections. The boys were educated at Beverley and Bridlington Grammar Schools.

By the time of the War, the young men had moved back to this area and were working for a Manchester firm of timber merchants. Taff is known to have been living at Pinfold Lane, Romiley. This was probably at "Penfold" the home of man, presumably a relative, called Edmund Smith. Richmond was probably living there as well.

Taff had been a pre-War member of the 6th (Territorial) Battalion and was mobilised when War was declared and within a few weeks left to go on active service. Richmond also joined up and his service number suggests this was around the end of 1914. Before he left Britain, he married his fiancée, Gladys Howat, in a civil ceremony registered at Stockport in the December quarter of 1914.

It is not known when Richmond arrived at Gallipoli but he was as part of one of the drafts of troops sent to replace casualties from the early weeks of fighting. The Manchesters had been in costly fighting on 4 June and 7 August and, in the latter attack, Taff had been killed.

In the early part of September, Richmond and his comrades were at a reserve camp at Gully Beach but they came back into the front line on the 10th, relieving another battalion of Manchesters. At 18.30 on the 16th, the Battalion had just "Stood To" with everyone manning the firing line. The Battalion History describes what happened next. The Turks exploded a mine underneath the British positions blowing up about 35 yards of the trench. "Dense columns of smoke and earth shot up high into the air and the rapidly increasing darkness of the evening added greatly to our difficulties. Most gallant work was done in digging out buried men, a task of great danger, as the front trench was completely destroyed and the Turks whose trenches at this point were within ten yards of ours, were bombing heavily." Richmond and 12 of his mates had been killed.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window