Rank: Private
Number: 2497
Unit: 1/7th Battalion King’s (Liverpool) Regiment
Date of Death: 30 June 1916
Age: 19
Cemetery: Avesnes-Le-Comte Communal Cemetery, France

Jack had been born and brought up in the local area. He lived with is parents, John & Annie, and his two sisters, Dorothy and Rebecaa, at 18 Swann Lane, Cheadle Hulme. Jack worked in a linen warehouse in Manchester and had attended All Saints Sunday School. A keen sportsman, he played for the local football club.

He enlisted, on 7 September 1914, at Southport, as part of a large contingent from that area. It's not known what connection he had with Southport. His enlistment papers show him to have been 5' 9" tall and of "fair" physical development. He went on active service on 8 March 1915.

On 26 July, he received a gunshot wound to his hand. He was treated by the Field Ambulance and later admitted to No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station (a field hospital). After treatment there, he was admitted to No. 10 General Hospital at Rouen. On the 28th, he was evacuated to England aboard the Hospital Ship Carisbrooke Castle. He returned to duty in England on 12 October and was finally ready to go back on active service in the spring of 1916. he rejoined the 7th Battalion on 3 April and was attached to "A" Company.

On 24 June 1916, a massive bombardment opened along the forthcoming Somme battlefield area. The main attack was intended for 1 July. Prior to this, regular raids on the enemy trenches were to be undertaken. These were intended to obtain "information concerning the nature of the enemy's defences, the taking of prisoners, the bombing of dug-outs, capture of machine guns and destruction of their emplacements." They were to take place along a much greater line of the front so that the enemy could not be sure where the forthcoming main attack would actually take place.

There are no details of the raid conducted by the 1/7th Kings Regiment on 29 June but it is known that 8 soldiers were killed and fourteen wounded. Jack was probably one of the fourteen wounded as, that day, he was admitted to the 1/3 West Lancashire Field Ambulance with a gunshot wound to his left side.  

He was later transferred to 37th Casualty Clearing Station, but died the following day at 9.15pm. The Sister in Charge wrote to his parents "Your dear son was taken here on the 29th, having been badly wounded in the abdomen and, in spite of everything that was done for him, he passed away very peacefully and quietly last night, not suffering much. In fact, a few hours before he died, he told me how much better he was and would like a book to read."

Jack's belongings were returned to his parents. These comprised a locket, some letters, a broken wrist watch and an upper set of dentures. After the war, Mr & Mrs Warburton were living at Chapel Lane, Ashton on Mersey.

Jack is remembered on the Cheadle and Cheadle Hulme memorials.

 (NB: Original research by John Hartley for the Cheadle & Gatley War Memorials website)

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window