Rank: Private
Number: 12679
Date of Death: 7 August 1915
Age: 34
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

The Blore family originated from the Unsworth and Whitefield area, to the north of Manchester. In 1901, when a national census was taken, the family was living in the Blackley area of the city where Jabez, senior, was a coal merchant. His son, the future soldier, also worked in the family business. As well his son, there were two daughters - Fanny and Mary.

By the time of the Great War, the family had moved to the Stockport area and was living at 149 Love Lane, Heaton Norris. It is possible that Jabez, senior, had died by then as no reference can be found to the family business. Jabez, junior, was working at the Stores Department of the               Co-operative Wholesale  Society on Balloon Street, Manchester.

He enlisted into the army in the early autumn of 1914. The newly formed Battalion, now part of the British 11th Division, had no uniforms or arms for the early weeks after its inception. However, by spring of 1915, it was deemed ready to go overseas. It's task would be to re-enforce the beleaguered troops at Gallipoli. They left Britain, from Liverpool, on 1 July, stopping at Alexandria in Egypt. Final preparations were made on the Greek island of Mudros.

Whilst at Mudros, Jabez wrote home "Dear Dad - I am in splendid condition and fit and whatever happens I shall know I have done my bit.....".

The original April landings at the peninsula had been in the south and the new assault was to take place at Suvla Bay, a few miles to the north. It was intended to split the Turkish forces. The troops left Mudros at 5.30pm in lighters towed behind larger ships. They landed at about 10.30pm. Due to an error, they came ashore about 1000 yards south of the intended landing beach and the enemy opened fire as the men tried to wade ashore. They secured the landing area and spent the night taking casualties from shellfire. At dawn on the 7th, all four companies moved forward. As they did so, they came under heavy fire and "Z" Company lost all its officers and the Battalion Adjutant took command. Meanwhile "W" and "Y" Companies charged the Turkish trenches capturing them, but immediately came under enfilade fire. They attacked towards this fire but again suffered heavy casualties. There was no option but to take cover and await help from supporting battalions trying to move up. The Regimental History records that the opposing forces were now entrenched only 20 yards apart.

The supporting units managed to fight their way forward by 5pm and it was now possible to consolidate the gained ground. As with many of the men at Gallipoli, Jabez has no known grave.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window