Rank: Corporal
Number: 9029
Unit: 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers
Date of Death: 2 May 1915
Age: 28
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Samuel had been born in Hazel Grove but most of his early boyhood was spent in Heaton Norris where he had regularly attended Christ Church. There must have been difficulties in his childhood as, when the 1901 Census was taken, he was a scholar at Standon Boy's Home near Eccleshall, Staffordshire. The Home was a Certified Industrial School for "neglected or destitute children requiring instruction". They were the forerunners of Approved Schools and Samuel was training to be a gardener. However, four years later, at the age of 18, he joined the army as a regular soldier.

Over the coming years, Samuel served with the Battalion on duties around the Empire - first, briefly,  in Egypt and, later, in India. He was a great lover of music and was First Cornet Soloist in the Battalion's band. He was also a keen all-round sportsman. He played football in the inter-company league for the Band and Drums team which, in the 1912/13 season, were league winners. A photo exists of the winning team and Samuel's position, seated in the middle, suggests he might have been team captain.

When War was declared in August 1914, the Fusiliers made their preparations to return from madras, reaching Plymouth on 21 December. They left Britain again in March 1915, going into action at Gallipoli on 25 April. They landed at "V" Beach under heavy fire and there were many casualties while they were still in their landing boats. The men found themselves pinned down unable to move off the beach and, during the night, were attacked there by the Turks who engaged them in hand-to hand fighting.  

Samuel and his mates found themselves in constant action between the 28th and 30th. On the third day, they came under very strong infantry attack from the Turks. The fighting started at 10.30pm and lasted until 5 the next morning. At one point the Turkish troops managed to get into the British trenches and there was fierce hand-to-hand fighting with very little quarter being given by either side. Eventually the Turks were forced back. The Fusiliers were now down to less than half strength and were temporarily amalgamated with 1st Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers and were withdrawn from the front line.

The relevant pages of the official War Diary of the Dublin Fusiliers are not amongst the records held at the National Archives. However, there is a record of the day Samuel was killed in the Diary of the Munsters. It notes that, having been relieved on the 1st, they remained there until sometime fairly late on the 2nd. An attack by other units had failed and the Munsters (and, presumably, the Dublins) were ordered forward to help man the British front line trench against possible counter attack. Samuel is likely to have been killed by shellfire during this time.  

After the War, his mother's address was recorded as 23 Millbrook Street, Stockport

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window