Rank: Private
Number: 307383
Unit: 2/8th Battalion LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS
Date of Death: 9 October 1917
Age: 36
Cemetery: Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, Belgium

By the time of the 1901 Census, Samuel Coppock, senior , had died. His widow, Mary was living at 5 Rex (?) Street, Hulme, Manchester with her two sons - 19 year old Samuel and Robert, who was three years younger. Samuel was working as a junior clerk for one of the railway companies.

In the September quarter of 1913, he married Sarah Hannah Dawson and this is possibly when they moved to the Stockport area. After the War, Sarah was known to be living at 19 Hempshaw Lane

Samuel enlisted into the army, as a conscript, and it is known that his service number was not issued until the beginning of 1917. It is likely, therefore, that he was an original member of the 2/8th Battalion and went on active service with it when it went overseas in March 1917.

The Third Battle of Ypres is often simply known by the name of the village that was an objective of the first few days - Passchendaele. The offensive had started on 31 July and quickly became, literally, bogged down in the mud. The coming weeks were characterised by "bite and hold" advances, where the British troops would make small advances and then consolidate. They were newly developed tactics and they were succeeding in wearing down the German, but at a high cost in lives.

The day that Samuel was killed would be called was later designated as the Battle of Poelcapelle and it would see him and two other local men killed. William Acton was in the same Battalion and Arthur Henshall was fighting alongside them in the 2/6th Battalion.

Both Battalions were part of 197 Brigade and they would be in support of the attack by the 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers. The plan was that the 3/5th would capture the German front line and the other two would then leap-frog to take the second objective described only as positions on the map as the "Blue Line".

The Regimental History records "The weather and the shelling had turned the whole area into a sea of mud and, where one track crossed the Zonnebeke stream, mud of a very adhesive kind came well over the knees of the infantry. Men were often up to their waists in water which had collected in shell holes and there seems little doubt that several were actually drowned through sinking down into the water under the weight of their equipment and sheer exhaustion."

At zero hour, 5.20am, neither Battalion had reached their designated positions. The 2/8th was still 400 yards short but advanced just after 6am in an exhausted condition. There had been no time for even a quick break. By 7.20, their objective had been secured. The 2/6th had been even further back and did not reach the start point until 7.30 but immediately pushed on.

The men of the 2/8th and some from the 3/5th had reached the Blue Line by about 9.30. Some managed to push on further to the outskirts of Passchendaele itself, but all were reported to have been killed. Their bodies were not recovered until 6 November. The troops at the Blue Line were heavily shelled and, in a communications error, a move by other units to form a defensive flank was interpreted as a withdrawal and, so, the Fusiliers pulled back to the original German front line.

Later in the afternoon, orders were received to move forward again to attack the Blue Line but, two minutes before they were due to start, the Germans launched a heavy bombardment and their own counter attack. The counter-attack was driven off, but new orders were now issued to consolidate the gains.

Samuel's body was never recovered and identified.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window