Frank DUNN
Rank: Sergeant
Number: 41534
Unit: 1st Battalion King’s (Liverpool) Regiment
Date of Death: 29 September 1918
Cemetery: Vis-en-Artois Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

Nothing is known of Frank's life except that Regimental records, published after the war, indicate he was living in Stockport at the time he enlisted into the army at Manchester. He originally joined a Territorial battalion of the Manchester Regiment. His service number, 3930, is not an early one and it may have been as late as 1916 before he joined up. Frank's on-line medal entitlement records at the National Archives make no mention of this service. This indicates he never served abroad with the Manchesters and was, no doubt, transferred to the King's on completion of training.

By September 1918, German resistance, though still stiff, was starting to crumble and the Allied troops were making great advances. On the 27th, Frank and his mates attacked towards the French village of Graincourt and, by 10.15pm, had occupied their objective - a position known as Lathe Trench.

The attack resumed the next day at 5.15am. The Regimental History records that the British supporting artillery barrage came dangerously close to the trench occupied by the King's. They advanced in four waves towards the St Quentin canal. They came under attack from machine guns near Marcoing but part of the Battalion was able to cross the canal and establish headquarters in a lock-keepers house.

There are few details of the day Frank was killed. The History notes that the remainder of the Battalion managed to cross the canal as did the other units of the Brigade and, together, they advanced successfully towards Range Wood.  Frank was one of 30 members of his Battalion to be killed during the day. His body was never recovered and identified.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window