Rank: Private
Number: 7580
Date of Death: 9 April 1916
Cemetery: Basra Memorial, Iraq

Almost nothing is known of William’s life other than he had been born in the Gorton area of Manchester. He is thought to have been married and live at 28 Hatherlow Street, Portwood, Stockport. He enlisted into the army at Stockport. His service number is very low and it is possible that he was a pre-War regular soldier who as later transferred to the newly formed 7th Battalion. If not, then he enlisted within days of War being declared in August 1914.

The Battalionn went overseas in June 1915, going into action at Gallipoli the following month. After the evacuation from the failed campaign in January 1916, William and his comrades moved to Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq). The original invasion forces had met with initial success but the British troops had over-stretched themselves and were defeated early in 1916. The troops were forced into a retreat and took refuge at the city of Kut-al-Amara where they were besieged by the Turkish Army. Attempts to relieve the garrison had so far failed and a new strengthened force, including the 13th Division, was assembled.

On 2 April, the troops left camp, crossing the Tigris at dawn the next day. By 6.30pm, they had reached the front line positions opposite the enemy at El Hannah. British artillery had been shelling the Turks for several days and everything was ready for an infantry assault. The men rested the next day as they were tired from the long march and all had become thoroughly soaked during a thunderstorm.

Just before dawn on the 5th, the men went “over the top” only to find that most of the Turkish forces had secretly pulled back, leaving their front line trench only lightly garrisoned. Not surprisingly, the British troops captured the whole line with relative ease. In the excitement, the 7th Battalion advanced further than ordered and found itself in the midst of the British artillery barrage.

The next three days were spent resting and reorganising but, in the evening of the 8th, the troops marched off again ready to undertake another attack, arriving at their designated positions at about 3am on the 9th. At 4.20am, without any preliminary artillery barrage, the whole of 13th Division quietly advanced across No Man’s Land towards Sannaiyat. When they were about 300 yards from the Turkish trenches, they were discovered. The Turks sent up a barrage of flares illuminating the whole of the area and immediately opened up a devastating fire.

The 7th Battalion’s War Diary records “There was nothing to prevent the Turks firing as long as they wanted to. They were under no fire themselves and the attack was made with the bayonet only and no artillery was used by us to keep the Turks heads down. Many acts of the greatest heroism were performed during the attack.”

It was already apparent that the attack had failed but, as dawn broke, it was clear that the Turkish trenches were held extremely strongly and any frontal attack would have been bound to fail. “It became a question of when the Turks would counter-attack.” Men dug small holes wherever they could to make a degree of cover and had to spend all day lying there. Many were killed during the day. It was not until just before midnight that they were relieved and able to make their way to safety.

44 men were known to have died and another 12 were missing. William was one of those posted as missing. In its edition of 30 June, the Stockport Advertiser published an appeal for any information about him would be “thankfully received by his parents” but nothing was ever heard of him again. Another local man, Thomas Kelly, had been amongst the known dead.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window