Henry Morington FISHER, M.C.
Rank: 2nd Lieutenant
Unit: (attached to ) Y, 31st Trench Mortar Battery ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
Date of Death: 31 October 1918
Age: 26
Cemetery: Vichte Military Cemetery, Belgium

Henry was reported to have been killed in action on his 26th birthday. The circumstances of his death are, however, unknown. The Battery’s War Diary, held at the National Archives makes no mention of it and it is possible that he had been “loaned” to another unknown unit. His captain wrote to his father, T H Fisher, at the family home in Edgeley, “A more brave and cheerful officer I have never known – a favourite with both officers and men. He died fighting for his God, his King and his Country.”

Unusually for an officer during the War, Henry came from a working class background. He had worked as a finisher at Christy’s hatworks in town and enlisted fairly soon after War was declared. He served overseas reaching the rank of bombardier (the artillery equivalent of a corporal) and was then selected to train to become an officer. He received his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant on 3 September 1917.

In the late spring or early summer of 1918, he undertook an act of bravery for which he was awarded the Military Cross (second only to the Victoria Cross). The award was officially published in the London Gazette in its edition of 20 September 1918 with the following citation. ”For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty, when an ammunition recess received a direct hit and another shell blew in the side of the pit. He, assisted by a detachment, dug the pit out and got the mortar into action again and then led his men through a heavy barrage to a dump 100 yards away and got up ammunition. The pit was blown in a second time and he dug out his mortar and continued firing until all his ammunition was expended.”

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window