William John GLYNN
Rank: Private
Number: 301180
Date of Death: 16 May 1917
Age: 33
Cemetery: Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

William was born in Dukinfield, Cheshire, in 1884, the eldest child of Peter and Mary Jane. Peter Glynn had been born Ireland and, presumably, came to England to work as a navvy on the railways. At the time of the 1901 Census, the family was living in a four roomed house at 60 Union Street, Stockport. William, then 16, was working as an assistant porter. By then, he had four younger siblings - Mary Ellen (14), Alice (11), James (8) and Agnes (4).

By the time of the Great War, William was working in the Wine Department of the Household Stores Ltd, King Street West, Manchester (and is commemorated on the Company's entry in the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour).  He had also married.

When he enlisted into the army after War was declared, he was given the service number 3252 and was assigned to the Argyll's 1/8th Battalion, which was a Territorial Army unit. Information supplied by the Regimental Museum confirms he served in "C" Company. At the beginning of 1917, Territorial soldiers were re-allocated 6-digit service numbers, as above.

On 12 May 1917, William and his mates were in hastily dug front line trenches near the French village of Fampoux (approximately 8 kilometres east of the town of Arras). Over the next three days, the Battalion's War Diary records that they were subject to heavy bombardment from enemy howitzers. In the early hours of 16 May, the bombardment intensified and was followed up with a strong infantry attack on the Argylls' front line at 3am. The enemy was beaten off with heavy losses, except for a short section of trench on the left. The attacking party was working its way through the trench system when it was engaged in fierce hand-to-hand fighting and 51 prisoners were taken. By 9.30am, the remaining Germans had been driven out of the British positions.

60 members of the Battalion had been killed in the day's fighting. William was reported to be missing and his body was never found and identified. It is very probable that he was killed by the early shellfire and that there was nothing left of him to bury.

Towards the end of the War, his wife (then living at 187 Denmark Street, Greenheys, Manchester) placed an advert in the Manchester Evening News asking for any news on him.  Presumably she hoped that he might have been taken prisoner but nothing was ever heard of him again.

© 2006. Design and Layout are the property of Ihelm Enterprises Limited and cannot be reproduced without express permission.
Enter Search Phrase Here:(search may take up to 30 seconds) 
Close Search Window